Thursday, January 7, 2010

Leadership - a note from 30 years ago

MEMORANDUM

From: Commanding Officer
To: All Officers


Some thoughts:
(1) A junior officer must be most concerned with his or her performance in the job assigned. There is too much discussion in our ranks about the merits of particular jobs as "career enhancing". It's natural to look upon various jobs in different lights - you might like one better than another - but don't get caught up in the "I need this job to get promoted syndrome"...that's bull.

(2) Continue to show our people you care. You must follow my lead and my example. I expect you to - and I watch closely. That ranges the gamut from counseling, to mid-watch visits, to attending command events, to going to basketball games.

(3) DON'T BE PART OF THE PROBLEM. I want to concentrate on important matters and continue to emphasize "dealing with facts" - not rumors and B.S.

(4) Finally, leadership by example is not a buzz phrase. We cannot, as officers and chiefs or petty officers, expect to gain respect and credibility unless we can do it too. Keep that professional curiosity, keep working hard and take pride in making NSGA the best.
Once again, I need and expect the support of each one of you to make Misawa a better place to live and work. We are on a positive tack. With your help, we'll sail smoothly through 1980.

J.S. MCFARLAND
Commanding Officer
U.S. NSGA Misawa, Japan
1 February 1980

Hat Tip to Lieutenant Commander Robert E. Morrison, USN retired, fellow RADM McFarland fan for providing this gem.
I'm not the only one who has kept a leadership file since the day I joined the Navy.

No comments: