Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Notes from Rear Admiral G. Patrick March

“Greatest satisfaction” and “disappointment”

Greatest Satisfaction – that when I retired, I left the NSG Command in outstanding shape. It was a smooth functioning organization, both headquarters and field stations. I had confidence in the personnel at all levels of command. I experienced the warm feeling that the professionalism of our people was unmatched elsewhere in the cryptologic community.

Greatest Disappointment – That we didn’t have another flag officer to wear my other hat (Op-944). I think both jobs suffered by my having to split my time between Nebraska Ave. and the Pentagon. The Communications people had the luxury of two flags: one for NAVTELCOM and one for Op-941.

From RADM G. Pat March's letter to me in July 2008 discussing the highs and lows he experienced while Commander, Naval Security Group Command from 1974-1978 (during the period I underwent language training and was assigned as a CTI2 at U.S. Naval Security Group Misawa, Japan in 55 Division (Direct Support).

The photo is of Admiral March at the NCVA reunion in September 2009.

NOTE THAT HE HAS NOT GIVEN UP HIS ALOHA SHIRTS FROM HIS DAYS IN HAWAII. Mahalo.

No comments: